Jazz Unlimited Annual Scholarship Competition
Jazz Unlimited Annual Scholarship Competition Annually on the 3 rd Sunday in March (March 21st, 2021): The Jazz Unlimited Annual *Scholarship Program may now be held virtually at https://cutt.ly/JUZoom or live at Joe’s K Ranch, 1-4 pm, 4840 S Whitnall Ave. Cudahy. No charge for admission! Join the 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization of Jazz Unlimited NOW at https://jazzunlimitedmke.org/become-amember/ and do your part by supporting our annual scholarship program!
12 awards totaling $9000.00 available for the winners of the 2021 JU Scholarship Program:
- 1 - $1,000.00 Mike D’Amore Vocalist Live Performance Award High School or Pre-High School Students
- 1 - $1,000.00 Mike D’Amore Instrumentalist Live Performance Award High School or Pre-High School Students
- 1 - $1,000.00 Wayne “Zim” Zimmerman Showmanship Award High School or Pre-High School Student
- 1 - $1,000.00 Best Jazz Vocalist Award High School or Pre-High School Students
1- $1,000 Douglas M. and Eleanor M. Gmoser Best Reed Player Award - High School or Pre-High School students
- 3 - $750.00 ($2,250.00) Best Instrumental Awards High School or Pre-High School Students
- 1 - $750.00 Frank DeMiles (Dominguez) Memorial Award Piano and/or Vocal High School or Pre-High School Students
- 1 - $500.00 ‘Taps for Veterans’ Bill Seaman Best Horn Award High School or Pre-High School Students
- 2 - $250.00 ($500.00) Theodore “Ted” Peppas Memorial Youth Awards for 15-year-old and younger Jazz Students ONLY in the year of competition
Our Esteemed Judges:
- Bill Seaman - JU Scholarship Chair and Renowned Horn Player
- Sue Russell - International Jazz Vocalist
- Suzanne Grzanna - Worldwide Jazz Singer and Saxophonist
Guidelines and Requirements:
Jazz Unlimited of Greater Milwaukee offers scholarships to deserving High School and PreHigh jazz musicians. Musicians MUST Be in High School or Pre-High School in the year the Competition is held. The following scholarships will be awarded on the Third Sunday in March each year. Auditions begin promptly at 1pm at Joe's K Ranch located at 4840 S Whitnall Ave. Cudahy or virtually via https://cutt.ly/JUZoom. Applications should be sent to BillSeaman@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org AND 2 song titles with keys must be emailed to JeffStoll@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org by the 2 nd Friday in March. Exceptions must be approved by the Scholarship Chair after conferring with the Board.
NOTE! The scholarship amounts, numbers of scholarships and categories may vary from year to year! This information will be indicated each year on the Scholarship Page. In the event a category has NO Entrants, or a category has Less Entrants than the total number of awards, that Money will be distributed to another Organization, Individual or Cause to be determined by a Majority Vote of the Board. Application forms can be downloaded from the Jazz Unlimited Website at https://jazzunlimitedmke.org/scholarships-programs/
In the event a category has NO Entrants, or a category has Less Entrants than the total number of awards, that Money will be distributed to another Organization, Individual or Cause to be determined by a Majority Vote of the Board. Application forms can be downloaded from the Jazz Unlimited Website at Scholarship Application Form
Judges will use the Forms provided by Jazz Unlimited Scholarship Chairperson.(judging criteria) Judges must always be professional, prepared, unbiased, exhibit proper body posture and gestures and be open minded. No Communication between Judges is allowed during the Competition! There can be NO CONFLICT or the APPEARANCE OF A CONFLICT OF INTEREST. Judges will recuse themselves if this occurs and another judge will assume their position.
Virtual Audition Information/Times - Applicants may go virtual by visiting this link at https://cutt.ly/JUZoom no later than 12:45 pm of the scholarship competition providing an application had already been sent to BillSeaman@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org AND 2 song titles with keys emailed to JeffStoll@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org by the 2 nd Friday in March. Please note, backing tracks are allowed virtually but not live. Songs must be a minimum of 1 minute long but no longer than 3 minutes each.
Live Audition Information/Times - Applicants must arrive no later than 12:45 pm of the competition day. Applicants must sign in at the front desk with name, address, phone number, and email. Original music pieces are NOT Allowed. Scholarship students may not use the judges for accompaniment. Songs must be a minimum of 1 minute long but no longer than 3 minutes each. All persons to perform at the scholarship contest must be present no later than 15 minutes before the start of the program.
A check will be given to each winner after the competition before they leave Joe's K Ranch. Winners of the various categories will be invited to perform at the April jazz jam.
Instrumental Applicants should select a ballad and an up-tempo Jazz Related rhythm piece to play. The judges look for the applicant's ability to present the melody and improvise one or more of the choruses.
Vocalist Applicants should be prepared to choose 1 choice of a ballad and up-tempo Jazz Related song selections. They should be prepared to sing no more than two choruses of their selections.
Musical Aptitude – The applicant should demonstrate an above average ability to play their instrument or sing jazz vocals at their grade or age level as well as have a particular interest in jazz music. Optional: Letter of Recommendation.
Drummers should demonstrate the ability to play brushes and sticks in different Jazz Related rhythms. A Drum Kit will be provided, or Drummers may set up and use their own kit. Drummers must supply their own sticks and brushes. Applicants will be advised to contact BillSeaman@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org with any questions they have details about with setting up.
While it is the Applicant’s choice as to the selections you play, the following pieces are some suggestions. Applicants will be advised to contact BillSeaman@JazzUnlimitedMKE.org with any questions they have about selections.
- At Last (Etta James/Glenn Miller)
- Body and Soul (Billie Holiday/Anita Baker)
- Cry Me A River (Ella Fitzgerald/Michael Bublé)
- Europa (Gato Barbieri)
- Feeling Good (Michael Bublé)
- Fever (Ella Fitzgerald)
- Georgia on My Mind (Ray Charles)
- Good Morning Heartache (Diana Ross)
- House of Rising Sun (Animals)
- Misty (Ella Fitzgerald/Erroll Garner/Johnny Mathis)
- My Romance (Ella Fitzgerald/Tony Bennet)
- Stardust (Nat king Cold)
- Summer Wind (Frank Sinatra/Michael Bublé)
- Teach Me Tonight (Al Jarreau/Dinah Washington)
- That’s All (Nat King Cole)
- This Masquerade (George Benson)
- Time After Time (Cindy Lauper/Miles Davis)
- Unchained Melody (Righteous Brothers)
- When A Man Loves A Woman (Richard Elliot)
- When Sunny Gets Blue (Johnny Mathis/Ray Conniff)
- Willow Weep for Me (Billie Holiday)
- Back at The Chicken Shack (Jimmy Smith)
- Birdland (Weather Report)
- Come Fly with Me (Frank Sinatra)
- Fly Me to The Moon (Frank Sinatra)
- Gonna Fly Now (Maynard Ferguson/Bill Conti)
- Hello Dolly (Louis Armstrong)
- In the Groove (Richard Elliot)
- Lady Bird (Chet Baker/Dexter Gordon)
- Lullaby of Birdland (Weather Report)
- Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (Cannonball Adderley)
- Minnie The Moocher (Cab Calloway)
- My Favorite Things (John Coltrane)
- Route 66 (Nat King Cole)
- Street Beat (Richard Elliot)
- Summertime (Norah Jones)
- Sunny Side of the Street (Frank Sinatra)
- Take Five (Dave Brubeck)
- Watermelon Man (Herbie Hancock)
- You’d Be So Nice to Come Home to (Sarah Vaughan)
- Jazz Unlimited Scholarship flyer: JUScholarshipPromo.pdf - Google Drive
onForm.pdf - Google Drive